Purple Mattress Review- Why people love it?
Purple is one of the most popular online mattress companies out there. Their unique marketing, and product, have made them one of the major contenders in the bed-in-a-box scene. They developed their own Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid so they can offer a product that cannot be replicated by any other mattress company out there. The uniqueness of product has been somewhat divisive, so let’s take a closer look at The Purple Mattress to see what it’s all about.
How is the Purple Mattress Made?
Purple’s claim to fame is their Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid but their mattress has some more layers to it, literally. They use a couple of different types of foams to fill out the rest of the bed so the mattress can offer you an excellent night of sleep.
Cover – Purple’s cover is made from a combination of polyester, viscose, and lycra. These materials combine to make a stretchy cover that provides good airflow, so the mattress doesn’t get too warm.
Comfort Layer – The comfort layer is where Purple put its unique Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid. The original Purple has 2” of the grid, it is designed to give at pressure points and stay supportive everywhere else. It’s responsiveness to pressure should entice sleepers that like to switch positions during the night. Because of the grid structure this layer is very breathable and a nice cool night of sleep.
Transition Layer – Under the grid Purple has a layer of 3.5” of HD poly foam. This layer is firm and is built to keep you from feeling like you are sinking into the mattress too much. A lot of foam mattresses only use HD polyfoam on the base layer but Purple putting it here means that they want their mattress to respond well to pressure, which it does excellently.
Base Layer – The bottom of this mattress also makes use of HD poly foam, this time there’s 4” of it. This is designed to give the mattress some sturdiness and its overall firmness.
How firm is the Purple Mattress?
One of the biggest questions a consumer that is looking for a mattress has is “How firm is this mattress.” It is important to remember that firmness is fairly subjective, and can waver based on body size, personal preferences, and various other factors. We had multiple people test the mattress to get some differing opinions and then we averaged out their scores.
After aggregating the scores, we came to the conclusion that the Purple mattress sits at about 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. This places the mattress squarely at medium firm according to most industry standards. Medium firm mattresses tend to be favored most by people who sleep on their back or switch sleeping positions a lot.
Does the Purple Mattress Relieve Pressure?
Another important factor to consider when deciding on a mattress is how well the mattress relieves pressure in key areas. The amount of pressure relief can vary on the mattress based on the position you are sleeping. Typically, back sleepers like something medium firm, side sleepers prefer something softer, and stomach sleepers lean towards something firm. Let’s take a closer look at Purple by position.
Back – This mattress, in theory, should be great for back sleepers. This is the case when testing this mattress, your hips will be well supported to provide optimal spinal alignment.
Side – Side sleepers might feel a lit bit of pressure, this should not be too big of a deal as it is still quite comfortable. If you are sensitive to firmness as a side sleeper it may prove to be a bit too much.
Stomach – The medium firmness will give you some good support if you are someone that prefers to sleep on their stomach. It is excellent for people that switch positions during the night because of its strong responsiveness to pressure, but stomach only sleepers may like something a bit firmer.
If you are someone that shares their bed with a significant other (or a pet) motion transfer may be important to you. We tested how much motion one side of the mattress will affect other parts of the mattress. If you are a light sleeper you most likely want a mattress with low motion transfer, so you are not disturbed during your sleep.
Purple’s unique grid did a pretty good job minimizing motion transfer. Compared to the all foam competition, which usually does well in motion transfer tests, Purple stacks up well. This mattress is a good option for couples.
How Far Will You Sink into the Purple Mattress?
As with the rest of Purple mattress, the sinkage is unique because of the use of the Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid. You may have seen Purple’s human-egg drop video on YouTube that shows you will not sink too much into this mattress. This holds up to be true in our tests, the grid has less sinkage than most memory foam mattresses on the market today.
Should you buy the Purple Mattress?
After that in depth breakdown of the Purple Original, let’s look at the good and the bad so you have a good idea if this mattress is the one for you.
- One of the strongest aspects of the Purple mattress is its bounce. The Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid is designed to give the sleeper the sensation that they are floating on top of the bed rather than feeling like you are in it.
- One of the biggest things Purple talks about with their mattresses is that they are temperature neutral. The beds are designed to promote good airflow, which will keep you feeling cool throughout the night.
- The bounce and floating feeling lend itself well to people that like to switch positions while they are sleeping. This mattress has excellent mobility and the motion transfer tests well if you are sharing the bed as well.
- The 7 out of 10 firmness rating might prove to be too firm for strict side sleepers and not firm enough for stomach sleepers, again this aspect heavily depends on personal preference
- Bigger people might not like this because they are more likely to sink through the grid and into the firmer foam layers under
- Sleep Trial – 100 Nights
- Warranty – 10 Years
- Shipping – Free
Sizes and Pricing
|38″ x 75″ x 9.5″
|38″ x 80″ x 9.5″
|54″ x 76″ x 9.5″
|60″ x 80″ x 9.5″
|76″ x 80″ x 9.5″
|72″ x 84″ x 9.5″
Other Purple Products
As of right now, these products are only available in the US.
- The Purple Hybrid offers the same 2” grid as the Original Purple but over a layer of pocketed coils
- This mattress has more bounce and support than the original
- A queen sized premier will cost $1,599
Purple Hybrid Premier
- The Purple Hybrid Premier offers the choice of a 3” grid or a 4” grid, these grids are also over the pocketed coils like the Hybrid model
- This is for those who love the feel of the grid because you are getting even more of it. These are designed to give you a zero gravity feel
- The queen size for the 3” goes for $2,199, while the 4” will run you $2,999